Request for Proposal #NVCC-OBSERVATORY RENOVATION/UPGRADE-2017
Location: Waterbury, CT
The purpose of this request for proposals is to select a Contractor to renovate the dome of the observatory and upgrade the facility to allow data collection and remote observation for NVCC.
|Release of RFP:
||December 19, 2017
|Receipt of Questions:
||January 9, 2018
||January 15, 2018
|Proposal Due Date:
||January 29, 2018
Download Official RFP Documents Download High Resolution Photos (43MB)
Scope of Work Summary:
See official RFP for details.
- Renovations to the Dome:
- Weather-proofing of current Observa-Dome dome.
- Replacement of dome drive motors that turn the dome and operate the shutter doors.
- Upgrades to the Dome:
- New slip ring and conducting bars to allow the dome to rotate and provide power to the dome shutter.
- New rain/snow/weather sensors so the dome will close itself during inclement weather.
- New uninterruptable power supply so the dome is able to close in the event of a power outage.
- New software to operate the dome and control the dome remotely.
- New telescope system to include:
- 14 or 16 inch catadioptric/Cassegrain telescope.
- A mount and pier stabilization/base plate/riser to ensure the telescope is stable enough for imaging and data acquisition.
- A wide-field finder telescope for navigation and wide-field imaging.
- Focusers for wide-field telescope for remote use.
- An eyepiece set for manual viewing.
- Automation of new telescope system to include:
- Focusers for the main telescope for remote use.
- Focusers for the wide-field telescope for remote use.
- A color CCD camera for deep sky imaging.
- A monochrome CCD camera for magnitude measurements.
- Software to control the telescope, telescope mount and CCD cameras remotely.
- Training of NVCC representative(s) on dome, telescope, CCD camera, and software operation
Questions for the purpose of clarifying the RFP must be submitted in writing to Naugatuck Valley Community College no later than January 9, 2018. Please email questions to Dr. Peter Angelastro at firstname.lastname@example.org. Answers to all questions will be released on January 15,2018 to all proposers.