The medical coding and billing specialist is an analytic, organized, efficient professional who plays an integral role in the health care team. He or she is responsible for:
- analyzing medical records and assigning codes to diagnoses and procedures
- organizing records to be used for patient billing, insurance claims and account management
- tabulating information for health care surveys, research studies and improved patient care
- communicating with other health care personnel to clarify diagnosis or obtain additional information.
The medical coding and billing specialist program is offered in Waterbury starting each fall semester.The program includes 450 hours of combined classroom and practical learning activities. Classes are held 3 weekday evenings per week for 3 hours. The program will take 12 months to complete the classroom portion. The simulated professional practice experience will follow.
There are four modules, including the simulated professional practice experience. All modules must be completed successfully to receive the Medical Coding and Billing Specialist Certificate.
This program is designed to prepare the student for employment in any or all areas of medical reimbursement.
National Certification is not included within this course. You may visit the following websites for more information on National Certification: American Academy of Professional Coders: www.aapc.com, The Professional Association of Health Care Coding Specialists: www.pahcs.org, American Health Information Management Association: www.ahima.org
Medical Coding & Billing Brochure
Conveniently offered at our Waterbury Campus.
- You may email, fax or mail all registration forms to be processed. If you need to reach the non-credit office, please email NC@NV.EDU or leave a message at 203-575-8029.
3694-Medical Coding & Billing Calendar-Starts September 24-W (2020-2021)
Fall 2020-2021 MCB Payment Plan
3845-Medical Coding & Billing Calendar- (2019-2020)
Fall 2019-2020 MCB Payment Plan