Naugatuck Valley Community College is one of two community colleges in the system of Connecticut State Colleges and Universities to launch LiveSafe, the proactive safety application, campus-wide. LiveSafe is a phone app that gets people the help they need, when they need it. It puts the power of information and artificial intelligence to work for safety and security decision makers. The LiveSafe app, offered at no charge to NVCC students, faculty and staff is available for Apple and android devices. It provides easy, 24/7 access to Naugatuck Valley Community College’s Public Safety Department and uses GPS technology to allow family or friends to virtually escort you to your destination on campus or anywhere.
Lieutenant Jeffrey D’Alusio, NVCC Director of Public Safety has been coordinating efforts with the Connecticut State Colleges and Universities (CSCU) public safety task force and Joe Tolisano, the chief information officer for CSCU, regarding the adaptation of LiveSafe at NVCC. After compiling the information needed to start the program, a rep from LiveSafe came to NVCC Waterbury campus to finalize the information that would appear on the app and begin on-site training for the public safety employees at NVCC.
Coincident with the opening of the spring semester, the NVCC Department of Public Safety made the app available to all students, faculty and staff. Since the opening launch of the app, Lieutenant D’Alusio reported that NVCC has 63 registered users. The NVCC Public Safety department has also received one tip, which Public Safety officers responded to and handled accordingly. Students, faculty and staff are encouraged to use the safety app.
Features of the LiveSafe App include:
- Communication to request help from local emergency services and Naugatuck Valley Community College’s safety officials- no matter where you are in the world.
- Surface Actionable Security & Risk Intel that allows users to quickly and easily submit a report, with just a few taps.
- Tab Navigation that keeps related functionality in one place within the app.
- Easy accessibility through QR code to download “LiveSafe” app from the App Store or Google Play. Register and fill out your profile. Search for & Naugatuck Valley Community College. You’re set!
- Information sharing with Public Safety, when you see something suspicious.
- Access to information for emergency protocols from Public Safety, for example, emergency procedures, community resources, safety map to find buildings, safety places, and other information.
- SafeWalk & Notifications that virtually walk users to their intended destination and know when they have arrived.
Commenting on the launch, Lieutenant D’Alusio noted, “The LiveSafe app is a valuable safety tool. LiveSafe, when combined with the other existing safety procedures already in use at NVCC, provides an added safety feature that NVCC is proud to offer, at both the Waterbury and Danbury campuses. This LiveSafe safety app would not have been possible without the help and support of President De Filippis, Dean Elm, and the NVCC Marketing and IT departments.”