Center for Academic Planning
& Student Success (CAPSS)

The Center for Academic Planning & Student Success (CAPSS) believes that each learner has unique value and is entitled to be viewed as a whole person. Our professional counselors can help you with personal growth counseling, career development and academic development.

Academic Advising

Your academic advisor will help you to:

  • understand your major and its requirements
  • plan courses for the upcoming term(s)
  • consider career and job options for your major.

Personal Counseling

We will help you:

  • discuss your academic issues and dilemmas
  • make your life, career, and education decisions
  • develop better self-confidence
  • manage your stress
  • alleviate other personal barriers to your success in college
  • find referrals to outside agencies as needed.

Transfer Planning

If you are interested in transferring from NVCC to another college or university, we will help you:

  • acquire information about transferring through individual counseling
  • consider guaranteed admission programs
  • look at transfer articulations with other colleges
  • meet transfer counselors from other colleges and universities 
  • create a personalized pathway to earning a four-year degree.

Career Planning

Are you ready to start planning your career? You can:

Contact Information
203-575-8025 (p)
203-596-8610 (f)
Room: K520
750 Chase Parkway
Waterbury, CT 06708

Hours of Operation

Monday- Thursday: 8am-6pm

Friday: 8am-5pm

Select Saturdays: 9am-12pm 10/24, 10/31, 11/7, 11/14, 12/12

*Late appointments can be made if needed.

About Us

CAPSS encompasses several functions on campus including counseling and advising, testing and disability services.

Meet the Staff

Mission Statement

The Center for Academic Planning and Student Success (CAPSS) promotes student success by providing a supportive environment and coordinating efforts of faculty and staff to assist students from initial advising through graduation. The Center helps with career, educational and personal concerns, ensuring each individual achieves their educational objectives.

Meet the Staff
Meet the Staff

Meet the Staff

Bernd "Ben" Mattheis 
CAPSS Director 
Terry Latella
Counselor, Learning Disabilities
Laurie Novi
Disability Services Coordinator
Bonnie Goulet
Sam Johnson
Antony Wormack
Coordinator of Advising
Lydia Roldan
Office Assistant 203-575-8099
Yhara Zelinka
Diversity Recruitment,
Advising and Retention
June Artman 
Educational Assistant/
Accommodations Testing