Transfer Planning FAQ

Last Updated Oct 2014

Should I plan ahead if I want to transfer to another college?

Yes! It is important to your education and career plans that you choose an appropriate major and courses that will meet the requirements at your next school. The earlier you start planning, the easier the transfer process will be!

Who do I talk to if I'm considering transferring?

  • At Naugatuck Valley: stop by the Center for Academic Planning & Student Success (CAPSS) in Kinney Hall, Room 520, to meet with an advisor. They can answer your questions and guide you through the process.
  • At another college/university: Generally, there are transfer admissions representatives in the admissions office. Representative information is usually listed within the admissions section on a university's website.  Additionally, department heads or advisors will often meet with a prospective transfer student, although that varies from college to college.

What major should I choose at Naugatuck Valley?

The Liberal Arts and Sciences (LAS) degree program is the most easily transferable. LAS represents the broad education of a college degree; your major represents your area of specialization, which is either academic or career/training-centered. Many colleges prefer that you take your major courses with them. Earning your LAS degree at NVCC will give you time and flexibility in choosing a major.

You may also consider these transfer majors:

  • Math/Science for medicine, health, engineering and science majors
  • Behavioral Science for psychology, sociology, anthropology and social work majors
  • General Studies for any major that requires special courses that do not fit well into the LAS major
  • Other majors at Naugatuck Valley may have transfer agreements in place, or in some cases, unofficial arrangements. Check with your program coordinator or view the articulations agreements at NVCC.

How do I choose a college/university?

Consider the practical issues for your situation:

  • Cost: Even if a university seems expensive, financial aid is often available to lessen costs. Don't be immediately deterred because of a large price tag.
  • Commuting distance (if commuting) and ease of parking
  • Availability and strength of your intended major: How many students are in your intended program? Does the college offer a diversity of courses for your major? 
  • Competitiveness: How many transfer students does the college accept? Are there academic and/or GPA requirements? Do you meet those standards?
  • Facilities and student services: academic facilities, library, tutoring and other student services

Consider personal factors:

  • Campus community: Can you see yourself on the grounds? In the buildings? Finding or creating a community with other students and faculty?
  • Extra-curricular activities and sports: Do you want to write for a school newspaper? Join an intramural basketball league? Volunteer at a local hospital?
  • Prestige of the university, if this is important to you.

How many of my courses will transfer to my new college?

Generally, all liberal arts courses will transfer. Non-liberal arts courses will often transfer as specific courses, but usually as undesignated electives. Expect to transfer no more than 60 - 75 credits to another college from a community college; schools will vary as to how many courses they will take. Speak with the transfer counselor regarding your specific situation.

If I have credits from another college prior to coming to Naugatuck Valley, will they transfer?

Each college evaluates credits independently. Even if Naugatuck Valley accepted credits from another college, the next school will still re-evaluate, looking at original transcripts from each institution.

What do I do if I think my credits did not transfer properly?

You can appeal credit evaluations; see the transfer counselor in the admissions office or your advisor at your new school.

What if I have other questions that aren't answered here?

You can make an appointment. Stop by CAPSS in Kinney Hall, Room K520, or call us at 203-575-8025.

[Back to Top]

Contact Information
203-575-8025 (p)
203-596-8610 (f)
Room: K520
750 Chase Parkway
Waterbury, CT 06708