Transfer Planning

Planning Your Transfer

At NVCC, you can create your own pathway to a four-year degree and we are here to help! Check out our transfer video to get started.

If you are interested in transferring from NVCC to another college or university, we will help you:

Guaranteed & Dual Admission

Recent initiatives by the Connecticut Board of Regents (BOR) for Higher Education have placed a renewed focus on creating a seamless transfer process for CT Community College graduates to continue their education at the four state universities (CCSU, SCSU, WCSU, ECSU) and Charter Oak State College. Successful completion of such a transfer associate degree will offer the student guaranteed admission and junior status to the receiving university or Charter Oak State College without "course by course" transfer.

For more information, please visit:

We also have official articulation agreements with many local universities. These agreements outline courses a student should complete at NVCC and specify which credits the university will accept in order to make the transfer process as smooth as possible. 

We currently have agreements signed with the following colleges:

Fairfield University 

Quinnipiac University

Sacred Heart University 

University of Bridgeport

University of Hartford

University of New Haven

University of St. Joseph

Transferring Course Credits

Interested in how individual NVCC courses transfer to the public universities in Connecticut? See what courses you can take at NVCC and their course equivalents at the following universities:

Central Connecticut State University

Eastern Connecticut State University

Southern Connecticut State University

Western Connecticut State University 

University of Connecticut

CT State University Program Sheets:

If you are interested in the classes required for your degree, you can check the program sheets (also called curriculum sheets).



Still have questions? Check out our Transfer Planning FAQ for more commonly asked questions and answers or go to the University website you are interested in attending. You can also call CAPSS at 203-575-8025 or email us to schedule an appointment to meet with your advisor.

Transfer Planning FAQs

Should I plan ahead if I want to transfer to another college?

Yes! It is important to your education and career plans that you choose an appropriate major and courses that will meet the requirements at your next school. The earlier you start planning, the easier the transfer process will be!

Who do I talk to if I'm considering transferring?

At Naugatuck Valley: stop by the Center for Academic Planning & Student Success (CAPSS) in Kinney Hall, Room 520, to meet with an advisor. They can answer your questions and guide you through the process.

At another college/university: Generally, there are transfer admissions representatives in the admissions office. Representative information is usually listed within the admissions section on a university's website.  Additionally, department heads or advisors will often meet with a prospective transfer student, although that varies from college to college.

What major should I choose at Naugatuck Valley?

The Liberal Arts and Sciences (LAS) degree program is the most easily transferable. LAS represents the broad education of a college degree; your major represents your area of specialization, which is either academic or career/training-centered. Many colleges prefer that you take your major courses with them. Earning your LAS degree at NVCC will give you time and flexibility in choosing a major.

You may also consider these transfer majors:

  • Math/Science for medicine, health, engineering and science majors
  • Behavioral Science for psychology, sociology, anthropology and social work majors
  • General Studies for any major that requires special courses that do not fit well into the LAS major
  • Other majors at Naugatuck Valley may have transfer agreements in place, or in some cases, unofficial arrangements. Check with your program coordinator or view the articulations agreements at NVCC.

How do I choose a college/university?

Consider the practical issues for your situation:

  • Cost: Even if a university seems expensive, financial aid is often available to lessen costs. Don't be immediately deterred because of a large price tag.
  • Commuting distance (if commuting) and ease of parking
  • Availability and strength of your intended major: How many students are in your intended program? Does the college offer a diversity of courses for your major? 
  • Competitiveness: How many transfer students does the college accept? Are there academic and/or GPA requirements? Do you meet those standards?
  • Facilities and student services: academic facilities, library, tutoring and other student services

Consider personal factors:

  • Campus community: Can you see yourself on the grounds? In the buildings? Finding or creating a community with other students and faculty?
  • Extra-curricular activities and sports: Do you want to write for a school newspaper? Join an intramural basketball league? Volunteer at a local hospital?
  • Prestige of the university, if this is important to you.

How many of my courses will transfer to my new college?

Generally, all liberal arts courses will transfer. Non-liberal arts courses will often transfer as specific courses, but usually as undesignated electives. Expect to transfer no more than 60 - 75 credits to another college from a community college; schools will vary as to how many courses they will take. Speak with the transfer counselor regarding your specific situation.

If I have credits from another college prior to coming to Naugatuck Valley, will they transfer?

Each college evaluates credits independently. Even if Naugatuck Valley accepted credits from another college, the next school will still re-evaluate, looking at original transcripts from each institution.

What do I do if I think my credits did not transfer properly?

You can appeal credit evaluations; see the transfer counselor in the admissions office or your advisor at your new school.

What if I have other questions that aren't answered here?

You can make an appointment. Stop by CAPSS in Kinney Hall, Room K520, or call us at 203-575-8025.

Contact Information
203-575-8025 (p)
203-596-8610 (f)
Room: K520
750 Chase Parkway
Waterbury, CT 06708

Hours of Operation

Monday- Thursday: 8am-6pm

Friday: 8am-5pm

*Late appointments can be made if needed.

About Us

CAPSS encompasses several functions on campus including counseling, advising, testing and disability services.