Clue Me In (to Advising)
Club Guide for Students
Benefits of advising
Academic advising is an important part of your educational and academic success. You should meet with your assigned advisor each semester to ensure that you are taking the correct courses for your major or program. Other benefits of advising include:
- learning about other majors and programs certificates offered at NV
- setting goals for school and your career
- preparing to transfer for your bachelor’s degree
- receiving tips on how to succeed academically, in and out of the classroom
- accessing helpful resources, on and off campus.
Find your advisor
Your advisor is assigned to you according to your major. Most advisors will see you in their office by appointment. If you aren't sure who your advisor is:
Tips for educational planning
Fall and summer registration begins in April. Spring registration begins in October.
Make the most of your time with your advisor
- Come prepared: be on time, bring a list of questions, review the course catalog prior to your appointment.
- Share your goals (career, transfer, personal) and consider outside commitments that may interfere with your courses.
- Be an active participant: follow up on recommendations, keep forms for future sessions, ask for clarification if you don't understand something and be open to advice.
- Contact us soon!