What You'll Need
Once you have decided to apply for financial aid, you will need to fill out a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online. You will need the following information ready before you begin your application:
- signed federal tax return and W2's for the previous year for both you and your parent
- your and/or your parents' federally provided FSA ID
- documentation of any untaxed income for previous year
- your driver’s license
- your Social Security number and/or parent's, if applicable
- alien registration or permanent resident card
- the NVCC federal school code: 006982
Applying for an FSA ID
You must apply for an FSA ID before you can submit a FAFSA. If you are under 24 years of age, your parent will also need to apply for an FSA ID.
You can use your FSA ID to sign a FAFSA right away. Once the Social Security Administration verifies your information in one to three days, or if you have linked your PIN to your FSA ID, you will be able to use your FSA ID to access the following websites:
Completing FAFSA on the Web
Required: All personal and contact information entered into the college application and FAFSA application must be exactly the same. If abbreviations are used they must be entered identically in both applications (examples: address abbreviations like st. or ave., full name including Jr)
- Fill out your application on the FAFSA Web Site.
- Complete all screens until you receive a confirmation number at the end.
- Your FAFSA will then be sent to the federal government for review.
- You will receive a response in approximately one week.
- The Financial Aid Office will process FAFSA applications in the order that they are received. Unsigned or incomplete FAFSA applications (rejected ISIR records) cannot be considered for financial assistance until corrections have been submitted to the federal processor.
- You will be notified by the school that your FAFSA has been accepted.
For more information on how to complete your application, visit FAFSA online.