Frequently Asked Questions

Last Updated Nov 2012

What is the mission of the Office of Institutional Research (OIR)?

The Office of Institutional Research supports the goals, priorities, and values of Naugatuck Valley Community College, assisting our campus community to use data for decision-making, strategic planning, program development, and assessment.

Where is OIR located?

Kinney Hall, Room K709.

What type of data is available on the OIR website?

Based upon requests received in the past, OIR regularly publishes the following data to our website:

  • Student profiles
  • Graduate profiles
  • Enrollment trends
  • Completions trends
  • Institutional characteristics
  • Institutional reports

For other types of requests, the following data is available from our office:

  • Federally reported data
  • Geographic (town/service region) data
  • Program based data
  • Survey results (e.g. SENSE, CCSSE, Graduate Survey).

In support of program reviews and advising: contact information is routinely provided to Division Directors and the CAPPS office, on or about the 4th week of the semester. For other forms of outreach, contact information may be produced on an ad hoc basis

Typically, consistent with our federal reporting requirements, we produce reports using Fall semester “frozen” data. Although data is available, spring is not a standard reporting period.

How do I make a data request?

Please use the Office of Institutional Research Help Desk for all data requests.

Once OIR receives your Help Desk request, we will contact you by email if additional information is needed. We make every attempt to complete requests within time frames indicated on the request; however, data availability and mandated reporting may cause a delay.

What is needed when I make a request?

Please indicate the purpose for which the data will be used, what type of data will be needed, and a due date for the data. Typical types of data requested include specific demographic data (gender, race, high school) and academic data (student’s major, gpa).  Additionally, required Help Desk fields include your name, telephone number, email address and your division/unit.

For contact information: Your division director may have this information.

For program reviews: OIR has on file the most current template and can assist with required data.

For program accreditation:  Although OIR produces much of the data that is needed by most accreditors, it is helpful for our office to have a copy of the accreditor’s requirements.

When is data available?

  • Fall enrollment data is available beginning on or about October 1.
  • Retention information is available on or about October 10.
  • Academic division dashboards are available on or about October 10.
  • Contact information for Fall programmatic needs is available on or about October 1.
  • Contact information for Spring programmatic needs is available on or about February 15.
  • Information on student transfers to 4-year institutions is available on or about February 15.
  • Graduation data is available on or about August 1.

I keep hearing the terms “frozen data”, “freeze date” and “census date”, what do these terms mean?

Colleges and universities throughout the United States report data to the federal government’s National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) using the Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS).  To promote consistency in reporting, colleges and universities freeze or lock their data on or about the third week of the fall and spring semesters.  This provides a snap shot of student enrollments at a specific point in time. 

Although daily changes are made to the Banner record keeping system both before and after the freeze, as students enroll and change courses:  NVCC and all the colleges in the ConnSCU system provide this “frozen data” for the purposes of reporting.  The snapshot taken at the “freeze” provides a census for the student population throughout the nation and is therefore referred to as the “census date.”  The fall semester is most commonly used for federal reporting.

To maintain consistency with NVCC’s federal reporting, with few exceptions - OIR has a policy to use this frozen census data from the Fall semester for all requests.  

I understand that federal reporting guidelines require institutions to utilize specific definitions for retention and graduation rates, what are these definitions?

IPEDS definition of retention rate:

“A measure of the rate at which students persist in their educational program at an institution, expressed as a percentage. The percentage of first-time degree/certificate-seeking students from the previous fall who either re-enrolled or successfully completed their program by the current fall.”

IPEDS definition of graduation rate:

“Data are collected on the number of students entering the institution as full-time, first-time, degree/certificate-seeking undergraduate students in a particular year (cohort), by race/ethnicity and gender; the number completing their program within 150 percent of normal time to completion.

Additional definitions can be found via the IPEDS Glossary.

I would like to administer a survey; does the campus have a Survey Monkey account?

The Office of Institutional Research maintains a Survey Monkey account for use by NVCC faculty and staff. For more information about utilizing Survey Monkey for institutional purposes, please contact OIR by email:

I am a faculty member and I need to conduct a program review, who do I contact?

We ask that you initiate your request by submitting a Help Desk request. OIR will then contact you to coordinate specifics.

Contact Information
Lauren H Friedman
203-575-8097 (p)
203-575-8051 (f)
Room: K709
750 Chase Parkway
Waterbury, CT 06708

Lauren Haddad Friedman
Director of Institutional Research

Lisa Rodrigues-Doolabh, Ph.D.
Research Specialist

Philip Segan, Ph.D.
Survey Coordinator/Faculty Liaison