Institutional Research - Need Data?

Need to request data? Click to Send us your request

The OIR collects, analyzes and maintains data to support the planning, assessment, and decision-making activities of the College community. If you are a member of our community and in need of our help, please provide as much detail as possible when you place your IT HelpDesk request. If you have any questions, see our frequently asked questions first for more information.

Specifically, we need to know:

  • what data you need
  • the date it is needed (no less than two full weeks)
  • the purpose for which the data will be used.

Requests for data or research assistance are processed by the director of institutional research in consultation with College administrators. Please allow a minimum of two weeks for processing. On a case-by-case basis, a determination will be made about the feasibility and appropriateness of requests. Once accepted, data requests and research projects are prioritized in accordance with the College's Strategic Plan. Placing requests early will help with prioritization.

Submit your request via the IR HelpDesk.

Once you have submitted an information request:

Please allow a minimum of two weeks for processing. You will receive an e-mail confirming that your IT HelpDesk request has been received. Confidential information is provided in response to special requests. Disclosure of this information to unauthorized parties violates the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).When provided with confidential information, it is expected that you will:

  • handle the information in a secure fashion to ensure that it remains confidential
  • communicate the information only to other parties authorized to have access to it in accordance with the provisions of FERPA
  • use the information only for its intended purpose.

What type of data is available on the OIR website?

Based upon requests received in the past, OIR regularly publishes the following data to our website:

  • Student profiles
  • Graduate profiles
  • Enrollment trends
  • Completions trends
  • Institutional characteristics
  • Institutional reports

For other types of requests, the following data is available from our office:

  • Federally reported data
  • Geographic (town/service region) data
  • Program based data
  • Survey results (e.g. SENSE, CCSSE, Graduate Survey).

In support of program reviews and advising: contact information is routinely provided to Division Directors and the CAPPS office, on or about the 4th week of the semester. For other forms of outreach, contact information may be produced on an ad hoc basis

Typically, consistent with our federal reporting requirements, we produce reports using Fall semester “frozen” data. Although data is available, spring is not a standard reporting period.

How do I make a data request?

Please use the Office of Institutional Research Help Desk for all data requests.

Once OIR receives your Help Desk request, we will contact you by email if additional information is needed. We make every attempt to complete requests within time frames indicated on the request; however, data availability and mandated reporting may cause a delay.

What is needed when I make a request?

Please indicate the purpose for which the data will be used, what type of data will be needed, and a due date for the data. Typical types of data requested include specific demographic data (gender, race, high school) and academic data (student’s major, gpa).  Additionally, required Help Desk fields include your name, telephone number, email address and your division/unit.

For contact information: Your division director may have this information.

For program reviews: OIR has on file the most current template and can assist with required data.

For program accreditation:  Although OIR produces much of the data that is needed by most accreditors, it is helpful for our office to have a copy of the accreditor’s requirements.

When is data available?

  • Fall enrollment data is available beginning on or about October 1.
  • Retention information is available on or about October 10.
  • Academic division dashboards are available on or about October 10.
  • Contact information for Fall programmatic needs is available on or about October 1.
  • Contact information for Spring programmatic needs is available on or about February 15.
  • Information on student transfers to 4-year institutions is available on or about February 15.
  • Graduation data is available on or about August 1.

I am a faculty member and I need to conduct a program review, who do I contact?

We ask that you initiate your request by submitting a Help Desk request. OIR will then contact you to coordinate specifics.

I understand that federal reporting guidelines require institutions to utilize specific definitions for retention and graduation rates, what are these definitions?

IPEDS definition of retention rate:

“A measure of the rate at which students persist in their educational program at an institution, expressed as a percentage. The percentage of first-time degree/certificate-seeking students from the previous fall who either re-enrolled or successfully completed their program by the current fall.”

IPEDS definition of graduation rate:

“Data are collected on the number of students entering the institution as full-time, first-time, degree/certificate-seeking undergraduate students in a particular year (cohort), by race/ethnicity and gender; the number completing their program within 150 percent of normal time to completion.

Additional definitions can be found via the IPEDS Glossary.

I keep hearing the terms “frozen data”, “freeze date” and “census date”, what do these terms mean?

Colleges and universities throughout the United States report data to the federal government’s National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) using the Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS).  To promote consistency in reporting, colleges and universities freeze or lock their data on or about the third week of the fall and spring semesters.  This provides a snap shot of student enrollments at a specific point in time. 

Although daily changes are made to the Banner record keeping system both before and after the freeze, as students enroll and change courses:  NVCC and all the colleges in the ConnSCU system provide this “frozen data” for the purposes of reporting.  The snapshot taken at the “freeze” provides a census for the student population throughout the nation and is therefore referred to as the “census date.”  The fall semester is most commonly used for federal reporting.

To maintain consistency with NVCC’s federal reporting, with few exceptions - OIR has a policy to use this frozen census data from the Fall semester for all requests.  

I would like to administer a survey; does the campus have a Survey Monkey account?

The Office of Institutional Research maintains a Survey Monkey account for use by NVCC faculty and staff. For more information about utilizing Survey Monkey for institutional purposes, please contact OIR by email:

Where is OIR located?

 Kinney Hall, Room K709.

Contact Information
Lisa M Rodrigues-Doolabh
203-596-2104 (p)
203-575-8051 (f)
Room: K709
750 Chase Parkway
Waterbury, CT 06708


Lisa M Rodrigues-Doolabh
Director of Institutional Research
Room: K709
203-596-2104 (p)
Erin Strauts
Room: K709
203-575-8281 (p)
Alan J Sturtz
Educational Assistant
Room: K709a
203-575-8097 (p)