The Physical Therapist Assistant (PTA) Program leads to an Associate in Science degree. Upon successful completion of the program, graduates will be able to sit for examination for state licensure as a PTA. The program begins each January for the spring semester. Additional information may be found on the PTA Program webpage.
The Physical Therapist Assistant Program at Naugatuck Valley Community College is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE), 1111 North Fairfax Street, Alexandria, Virginia 22314; telephone: 703-706-3245; email: firstname.lastname@example.org; website: www.capteonline.org.
PTA Application Process:
The application period for Spring 2016 admission is April 1, 2016 through October 15, 2016.
Submit the following to the NVCC Admissions Office by the October 15, 2016 deadline:
- Official high school transcript indicating date of graduation, General Educational Development (GED) diploma or State High School Equivalency Diploma.
- Official transcripts from all previously attended colleges/universities, regardless of age of transcripts and applicability to the PTA program. Foreign transcripts must have a course-by-course evaluation completed by American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (www.aacrao.org) or World Education Services (www.wes.org). College credits earned while in high school, must have documentation of such submitted.
- Proof of Measles, Mumps, Rubella (German Measles), and Varicella (Chicken Pox) immunity, if required.
- Official Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS) (version 5.0) results, if not taken at a CT Community College.
- Volunteer/observational log form with documented time in physical therapy settings. (See last Admission Requirement below.)
- Information Session Attendance Form (provided at PTA Information Sessions).
- Complete the computerized Accuplacer Assessment Test. The assessment test may be waived for applicants who have prior college English and/or math credits OR who have submitted official Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) or American College Testing (ACT) results with minimum required scores.
PTA Admission Requirements:
- Mathematics elective (higher level than MAT* H136/H137 (Intermediate Algebra)) with grade of C+ or higher, completed within five (5) years prior+ to entering PTA Program and by the application deadline of 10/15/16.
- BIO* H211, Anatomy and Physiology I, or equivalent, with grade of C+ or higher, completed within five (5) years prior+ to entering PTA Program and by the application deadline of 10/15/16.
- ENG* H101, English Composition, or equivalent, with grade of C or higher completed by deadline of 10/15/16.
- Aesthetic Dimensions/Written Communication: general education core, with grade of C or higher, completed by the application deadline of 10/15/16.
- 2.5 PTA GPA – Based only on the college courses with grades that meet the PTA admission and PTA program curriculum requirements, which have been completed by 10/15/16. The PTA GPA is a calculation specific to PTA applicants and may differ from your college GPA.
- TEAS (version 5.0) with Adjusted Individual Score of 50% or higher, completed by October 15, 2016. Test scores will be valid for three (3) years and must be taken between 10/15/13 to 10/15/16. Go to www.atitesting.com for testing schedules and registration information. A study manual for TEAS (version 5.0) is available at www.atitesting.com. Applicants can take this test multiple times.
- All applicants must attend a PTA Program Information Session. Refer to website for additional information.
- Documented volunteer/observational experience totaling a minimum of 10 hours in each of an out -patient and an in-patient physical therapy setting (minimum 20 hours total) completed prior to application deadline of October 15, 2015.