College Level Examination Program (CLEP) Testing
The College-Level Examination Program® (CLEP) gives you the opportunity to receive college credit for what you already know without having to attend classes.
Earn credit for knowledge you've acquired through independent study, prior course work, on-the-job training, professional development, cultural pursuits and/or internships.
Registration and scheduling
- Consult your advisor before taking a CLEP exam to be certain that it will meet the requirements of your degree or certificate program.
- Go to: https://clepportal.collegeboard.org/myaccount to register and pay the $80 exam fee. Appointment scheduling is handled by the NVCC Testing Center, not via My Account.
- Print the CLEP Exam Registration Ticket.
- Check the Fall 2014 brochure for exam dates.
- Contact the Testing Center to schedule your appointment.
- Pay the non-refundable $15 administration fee directly to NVCC Cashier’s Office prior to taking the exam.
- Exam fees for military candidates are funded by Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES). Military candidates are required to pay the administration fee.
- Exam fees for Veterans must be paid in advance when registering on My Account, but you can claim reimbursement for CLEP exam and administration fee under the Veterans’ Benefits Improvement Act of 2004.
What you will need on the day of the test
• CLEP Exam Registration Ticket.
• Proof of payment of the test administration fee.
• One form of valid and acceptable identification. Acceptable forms of identification include:
- Government-issued passport with name, photograph and signature
- Driver’s license with name, photograph and signature
- State or Province ID issued by the motor vehicle agency with name, photograph and signature
- Military ID with name, photograph and signature
- National ID with name, photograph and signature
- Tribal ID card with name, photograph and signature
- A naturalization card or certificate of citizenship with name, photograph and signature
- A Permanent Resident Card (Green Card) with name, photograph and signature
Identification Requirements for DANTES-Funded Military Candidates
All eligible military personnel and eligible civilian employees of the United States military MUST present a current military photo identification card in order to receive DANTES funding.
• The military ID (Uniformed Services Geneva Conventions Common Access Card) must indicate that the candidate is an active member of the "Armed Forces of the United States."
• Authorized Reserve component spouses are also eligible for DANTES-funded CLEP testing. ID will indicate "United States Uniformed Services" on the card.
Prepare for the Exam
A copy of the CLEP Official Study Guide is on reserve in the Max R. Traurig Learning Resources Center/Library. For $10, you can also purchase and download an individual subject study guide.