For more information on placement testing at NVCC, check out our new video:
NVCC uses the Accuplacer computerized, adaptive placement test to assess your basic skills in English, reading and mathematics. The test results are used by advisors to make decisions about the level of courses you are prepared to take.
Prior to signing up for the test, you must:
- apply to the College Admissions Office
- pay a $20 application fee
- receive a Student ID number.
Schedule a test.
Prepare for the test.
Download the Accuplacer brochure.
Before you can take the test
- Complete and submit an application for admission to the Admissions Office.
- Get your Student/Banner/Net ID from the Admissions Office - this is your student ID number and it is required to take the test.
- Returning or transfer students should check with their advisor about whether or not to take (or retake) one or more parts of the placement test.
Schedule your test at a campus near you:
Students will be tested on a first-come, first-served basis. Prior to taking the test, a completed application must be submitted to the Admissions Office.
Inclement weather & cancellations
If there is inclement weather or hazardous driving conditions, call the Testing Center at 203-575-8215 for an update as to whether or not your appointment has been cancelled. Our voicemail will be updated as often as necessary to reflect college openings and closings.
Placement Test Preparation
There are a number of resources to help you review in reading, grammar, arithmetic and algebra before taking the placement test.
Khan Accuplacer Arithmetic Review
Test Prep Review
Guide to Grammar and Writing