You may be selected by the U.S. Department of Education or the NVCC Financial Aid Office for a process called verification. When selected for verification, your file will be considered incomplete until you submit requested documentation for our review.
Why is my file being verified?
There are several possibilities for being selected for verification. The following are the most common reasons for being selected:
- All students are selected randomly by the Federal Government.
- The FAFSA application has incomplete data.
- The FAFSA application has estimated or conflicting information on it.
- The IRS data retrieval option was not utilized when completing the FAFSA.
If you are selected for verification or have any outstanding requirements, please submit them to the Financial Aid Office as soon as possible. All of our forms are available on the Forms and Documents page or via your myCommNet account.
Please note-failure to submit completed verification documents to the Financial Aid Office can result in:
- Loss of financial aid for the semester or academic year.
- Loan not being approved.
- Future applications for aid not being processed.
IRS tax return transcripts or data retrieval on your FAFSA
To request a copy of your IRS tax return transcripts as well as W-2 transcript you can choose from the following options:
Option 1: To obtain a copy of your Federal Tax Return Transcript and/or your Wage and W2 Transcript, go to the IRS website.
Option 2: To obtain a copy by phone, contact the IRS at (800) 908-9946 and follow the voice prompt.
Option 3: To obtain a copy by mail, mail the IRS form 4506-T (or form 4506-T-EZ) or request a copy in person at a local IRS Office. IRS forms are also available online or by calling (800) 829-3676.
*The Tax Return Transcript must be signed by the tax payer listed on the transcript. Please also indicate the student’s name and NVCC Student ID number on the transcript and send or bring it in to our Financial Aid Office to be reviewed.
The IRS transcript requirement will be waived if you are eligible to link IRS data to a new or corrected FAFSA, and can do so using the “Link to the IRS” feature. If special circumstances prevent you from using the "Link to the IRS" option or obtaining IRS transcripts, contact our Financial Aid Office at (203) 575-8274.
Once forms are submitted for verification, the Financial Aid Office will review your file and make corrections to your FAFSA, if necessary. From there, we can determine your eligibility and award you, if applicable. Review of forms take approximately two to three weeks. Your status can be checked through your MyCommNet account.
- Be sure to keep your email address up-to-date with the Registrars’ Office.
- We only assume that you are interested in grants. Although work-study and loans are also part of financial aid, they must be applied for separately. Applications are available in the Financial Aid Office.
Your Financial Aid Award
When we complete our review of your financial aid application, we will notify you at your college email address. You will be able to view your financial aid award through your myCommNet account.