Faculty seeking approval for a new General Education course must follow this process:
Approval Process for New General Education Courses
- New courses must first apply to GEACC in order to be assigned to a comptency area. You will need to download and complete application(s) for the competency/ies designated for your course.
- If you are applying for approval under designated competencies, ensure that your course has learning outcomes that match all outcomes listed for each competency. Please note that all courses approved for Aesthetic Dimensions must also be approved for Written Communication. Likewise, all courses approved for Continuing Learning/Information Literacy must also be approved for Ethical Dimensions.
- Submit completed applications to Jim Pronovost, GEACC chair: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Once assigned to a competency or competencies, most new courses must seek approval from the Curriculum and Educational Affairs Committee (CEAC).* Note that clicking on this link will require you to log in with your Net ID and Password.
- See the Threshold for CEAC Approval document below to determine if your course is exempt from the CEAC process.
- The CEAC chair will convey the names and numbers of all new Gen Ed courses that are approved.
- GEACC will add the new course to the list of approved courses on the GEACC website and in the college catalog.
Please note: Student performance on Competency Outcomes will be periodically assessed within all courses approved for General Education.
Threshold for CEAC Approval of General Education Course Outcomes Changes
Courses changing outcomes to fulfill General Education requirements must be submitted to CEAC for approval if any of the following conditions apply:
- The Course is a new course that has not yet been approved by CEAC.
- The Course fulfills an old (pre Fall 2015) General Education requirement but is applying for acceptance in the new General Education Framework under a Competency that substantially differs from the course’s old Gen Ed designation.
For example, a course listed as a Social Sciences course under the old (pre Fall 2015) Gen Ed Framework would not need to seek CEAC approval for outcomes changes related to a Social Phenomena Application to the new General Education Framework. However, it would need to seek CEAC approval for outcomes changes made to comply with the requirements of Scientific Reasoning or Scientific Knowledge applications.
- The Course fulfills a current (post Fall 2015) Gen Ed requirement but has been submitted for approval under an additional competency area that does not correspond to any pre Fall 2015 requirement associated with the course.
For example, a course currently mapped to the Historical Knowledge competency would need CEAC approval for outcomes changes made in order to qualify as a Written Communication course.
- The Course is new to General Education at NVCC. For example, a program course or course in the major that is applying for General Education approval would need to undergo CEAC review if its outcomes are changed in order to meet competency outcome requirements.
For example, an Accounting course would need CEAC approval for outcomes changes made in order to qualify as a Quantitative Reasoning course.
Please note: All General Education courses must be approved by the General Education Assessment and Curriculum design Committee and assigned to at least one competency area. In addition, students enrolled in General Education courses will be periodically assessed on competency outcomes associated with these courses. Faculty teaching General Education courses agree to participate in such assessments.